Sunday, November 15, 2015

COLD HARBOR: An unforgettable first visit


BATTLEFIELD BACKSTORY: I'll never forget the first time I saw the 2nd Connecticut Heavy Artillery monument at Cold Harbor, near Richmond. As I walked the ground that was heavily contested by both armies, I came upon a small clearing where I discovered three blocks of light-gray granite. Mounted to the front of the monument to the Heavies -- the only monument on the battlefield -- is a bronze plaque that includes names of those in the regiment who were killed at Cold Harbor. When I read the names aloud, hair on the back of my neck stood up and goose bumps covered my arms. The regiment, comprised mainly of soldiers from Litchfield County, suffered more than 300 casualties at Cold Harbor. (Click at upper right to enlarge and click here for all posts on this blog.)

No comments: